Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Yeast-free Bread

After achieving “success” with bread I learned that yeast can, not only give me a headache, it causes me to become faint. I needed a yeast-free bread. For the most part Lisa and I have been using pancakes for bread, it works, but it just isn't bread.

One day I decided to exchange one tablespoon of yeast for one tablespoon of baking powder. My previous bread recipe called for starch. Without the yeast I could feel the starch in my mouth. It was unpleasant. I could taste it too. I started over, lowering the starch amount and worked on a multi-grain bread. Let's face it without the yeast it looses an important flavor. So those who can have yeast tend to miss it in this bread, however it does have a good bread texture and it's flavor is closer to bread than pancakes.

While this recipe is not vegan, because of the gelatin, in an effort to move my bread recipe towards vegan, I'm using flax seed and water as an egg substitute. Feel free to substitute the flax and water for two large eggs.


I am not having great success with flax seed. Starting at the top of this blog are the first picture is this bread recipe using eggs, the second picture is using flax seed, and the third picture is a previous time I used flax seed. This third picture tells me that I can get a good bread using flax.

Give this bread a try and let me know how it worked for you.


Multi-grain Gluten Free Bread
Grease and flour a bread pan.
Preheat oven to 350°

Whip together in a small bowl and set aside:
2 tbs flax seed
6 tbs water

In a separate bowl mix together:
¾ c. brown rice flour
½ c. almond meal
½ c. millet flour
½ c. teff
½ c. quinoa flakes
1 package of unflavored gelatin
2 tsp. guar gum
1 tsp. sea salt
1 Tbs. corn-free baking powder

Add the flax seed mixture,
2 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs. olive oil
Mix together and add to the above ingredients:
1 ¾ c. warm water
1 tsp. Fleischman's apple cider vinegar


Mix until all dry ingredients are moist. Pour into loaf pan.
Bake for 70 minutes.
Remove from pan right away.
Let cool before cutting.

Next I'm going to learn how to make sourdough bread.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Colleen,
    I know you don't want to run the with the pack but please look at the recipes on my blog for gluten free bread also free of yeast, egg, dairy, soy, baking powder/soda and corn. It is SOURDOUGH! and that has made all the difference.

    I also sell a recipe package full of info and background based on my 3 years of experience slogging through gluten free sourdough. It includes nearly 20 recipes for bread, muffins, focaccia, pizza dough and sweet bread without sweetener, just a little stevia. (no blood sugar spikes) and I make free new recipe updates to customers. I'm not trying to use your site to plug my site but I think you're just working too hard. Give yourself a break and make some really good bread! :-)

    sincerely, sharon :-)
    glutenfreesourdough.blogspot.com
    www.food-medicine.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Sharon, I have commented on your previous post.

    Your food for medicine site is a paying site. I'm not going to fault you there. You deserved to be paid. It's just that we do not have an income.

    On your other site you have posted a new blog since July. I'll be reading it, but if you have saved all your secrets for your other site I'll have to just enjoy your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Colleen,
    I hope you will try the recipes on my bread blog. That bread recipe is very good if you can tolerate the different flours. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

    I hope to continue blogging more regularly. I have a lot of ideas I want to share but not too much time to write.

    sincerely,
    sharon

    ReplyDelete