Monday, February 2, 2009

Pumpkin Butter




With health problems like mind, I'm all about changing recipes for my needs. So, when I found the Fun Foods on a Budget website recipe Fluffy Pumpkin Mousse, the first thing I did was make it my own.


1 15oz can of pumpkin puree
4 cooked apples * or 1 cup of apple sauce
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/5 cake of soft tofu** (optional)
1/2 cup of brown sugar

I placed this all in a large mixing bowel and using my mixer, mixed well. The Fun Foods recipe calls for a little cooking, but these ingredients are all cooked, so I served it as is. Because of the watery constancy you may want to cook it for a few minutes, but I was happy with it as is.

I served this over our morning pancakes. Later in the day I warmed it in the microwave and ate it like that. Both ways were delicious.

*Once I learned to make apple sauce I find it hard to buy the already made variety from the store, because the homemade is so good. Also, it is the perfect thing to use up old mealy apples.

Peel, quarter, and core apples, place in a sauce pan with ¼ cup of water. Cook in covered pan over medium heat until tender. You can then run through the blender (fine), use a mixer (medium), or my favorite mash with a potato masher (chunky). I am quite fond of chunky apple sauce.

** Since my pancake recipe contains 3g of protein, the tofu was added to raise the protein content. This suits my low blood sugar needs. If you don't want it, don't put it in. It will not make any difference in the taste.

4 comments:

  1. Yummy!
    I can almost smell it. Adding the tofu is a great idea. Any time I can sneak protein into my sugar-loving vegetarian teen, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, GeekyQuil.

    Since, I posted this I decided the sugar in this is too much. Last night, I made it with only two tablespoons of sugar. I thought it made it taste more like pumpkin pie. My 12 year old wanted more sugar in it, but my 8 month old grandson cried when his dish was empty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like diherrea

    ReplyDelete