Monday, February 9, 2009

International French Toast Pancakes or American Gluten Free Breakfast Cakes

I have severe low blood sugar. Some people with low blood sugar can get away with three meals and three snacks, or six small meals. I need 6 meals. Add to that a long list of allergies, I'm a mom, like my Grandmother who always cooked more than the family needed, and the result is I think about food more then I would like.

Because of the allergies, and Celiac disease, I'm missing out on a lot of the traditional foods I grew up on. I'm often thinking about how to convert what I can eat into something similar. As an American with many national backgrounds, and the influence of other nationalities, I often come up with meals that have a mix of two or three traditional dishes from two or three nationalities. This one recipe is an example of just that.

It all started with a desire for French toast. I have yet to learn how to make gluten free bread that I like. Actually I have been intimidated by the thought of making GF bread and finding ways to avoid it. Never the less, I want French Toast.

While digging through a cookbook I noted that Chinese Eggs Foo Young was nothing more then, vegetables, meat, and eggs whipped up together and fried. Needing a lower fat variety I dug out my tofu cookbook. Its vegan version used tofu and tapioca flour, but basically the same thing, vegetables with a binding agent whipped up together and fried. They reminded me of Jewish Latkes/ German Potato Pancakes. So, may I introduce to you:



American GF Breakfast Cakes

Makes 8 cakes


2 cups of cooked rice

2 eggs, (the equivalent of egg replacer, or 1/2 cup of tofu)

½ tsp Cinnamon

½ tsp Vanilla Extract

1 Tbs Agave (or use any sweetener)


Toss all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Mix well. Drop about ¼ cup amounts into hot olive oil, (or fat of your choice.) Cook for a minute on each side or until medium brown.


I served mine with homemade applesauce on top but found the apples overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the cakes. The flavor of store-bought applesauce is not as strong, and therefore may make a good topping.

Eat safe, eat healthy

Edit: I previously posted this with a 1/4 cup of tofu. That was an incorrect amount. 1/4 cup of tofu equals 1 egg, so if you need two eggs you need a 1/2 cup of tofu.


1 comment: