Thursday, December 17, 2009

Gluten-free 'Butter' Cookies


I mustn't linger here, today. I am afraid something else may happen to pull me away before I'm finished. It's been quite a week, but I think I will recover.


I thought about butter cookies for a couple of weeks. They are a traditional Christmas cookies in my husband's family. I have put together a recipe I am very pleased with and want very much to share it. They are light crispy and very much like real cookies.


Without further adieu:

Butter Cookies

Make 3 dozen


Blend together:

3/4 c. brown rice flour

¼ c. tapioca flour

½ millet flour

½ c. almond flour*

1 c. white sugar

¼ tsp. baking powder

¼ tsp. sea salt

2 tsp. guar gum


Add and mix well:

1 tsp. vanilla

5 Tbs. coconut oil or shortening

5 Tbs. butter or butter substitute


These cookies spread when baking so place small spoonfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.

Bake in preheated oven at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.


Because of the way this dough spreads it is not worth your time to use cookie cutters on it. See the picture to the right? That's a star.


*If you cannot have nuts try flax seed meal instead of almond. Because of flax's thickening tendencies cut the amount of guar gum in half.

2 comments:

  1. Nice recipe. I would take out the white sugar completely as it's not healthy. Instead try some nice raw organic honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    I advocate free style cooking. So raw honey will be a healthier choice, but it doesn't put crunch in cookies. Since I have members of my family who can have gluten and greatly miss my glutenlicious cooking this recipe is more an attemp at copying a tasty treat than an aim at cooking healthy.

    I cook on a fine line between healthy and those old favorites the family misses.

    Check out my other cookie recipes. I think you might like them. I do use brown sugar, but I think honey with make them better.
    http://colleensglutenfreestyling.blogspot.com/2009/08/real-grandma-real-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete